Home Staging: How To Sell And Rent Your House Faster
Home staging consists of applying a series of techniques to a property especially apartment or flat with the aim of preparing it, optimizing it visually to rent or sell it at a better price and / or more quickly.
What is the difference between Home Staging and Decoration?
Home Staging is actually a quite different term from “decoration“. Although it uses the same principles, the objective is not to personalize the house and adapt it to the taste or style of its owners, but just the opposite: depersonalize it , create neutral and pleasant environments that can be adapted to the largest possible number of people.
That is why it is important to understand that Home Staging treats housing as a product and thinks of it as an object of supply and demand , eliminating all sentimentality associated with the experiences that its owners have lived in it.
For what properties is Home Staging is valid?
Home Staging is used for all types of housing: own, inherited, bank houses , flats purchased for rent … The only exception in which this technique can not be applied is in those homes that need a comprehensive reform , as the Home Staging improves what exists but does not conceal or mask defects. If any, they should be repaired before applying the 5 phases of this method.
As a possible solution to the cases in which the property is for a total reform, if the owner does not want to undertake the heavy expenditure on works that may be, it can be useful at least a “Virtual Home Staging“, on the basis of Renderers or 3D graphics the potential buyer can get an idea of how the house will remain after it has been renovated, which is also valid for empty floors in case you do not want to spend anything on furnishing them.
Home Staging will not have the effects sought in those properties whose price is well above the market . Applying your techniques will certainly enhance your appearance, but you will not be able to dramatically increase visits or close the sale. For these cases the house needs to offer an additional design plus (both in the type of renovation or materials used and in the type of furniture chosen), which is beyond the scope of Home Staging itself.
How does the Home Staging technique apply?
Home Staging is nothing more than the successive application of 5 phases (not always in this order):
1. REPAIR: As mentioned, Home Staging does not mask defects, so if you have something to fix, do it before applying the other techniques. A faucet that drips, a chip on the wall, a shutter that does not close or a door that does not fit are small repairs that need to be taken care of before moving on.
2. CLEAN: Not by obvious is less obvious. A dirty house, with dust on the tables, some spider web in a corner or with the joints of the tiles of dirty bathrooms makes a bad impression and throws back to any interested.
3. ORDER AND CLEAR: idem idem. No matter how clean the house is, an unmade bed, children’s junk in the middle of the living room, dishes on the countertop not picked up or clothes lying on the chair instead of kept in the closet will distract the visitor and focus on their Attention in these points, forgetting the rest.
4. DESPERSONALIZE: what is said. The photos of the grandchildren’s communion, the crucifix on the bed or the great-grandmother’s picture on the wall or the round plate of the parents’ wedding trip are too personal touches that must be removed so that the buyer or tenant can feel it Like their home.
5. HIGHLIGHT: In this phase it is a question of getting the most out of it or improving the visual aspect of the house by adding some accessories. For example, bedding, cushions, curtains, carpets, a cover for the sofa if the upholstery is old, a tablecloth. Sometimes it will also require to buy some new furniture, such as lamps or chairs Of dining room. And in others you can recycle what you already have by adding slight changes: shooters in the kitchen or cabinets, neutral paint for bedside tables or bedside, etc.
In short, not all cases must go through the implementation of the 5 phases. Sometimes with only one of the first 4 you get a drastic change. Other times, to emphasize, it is enough to change some furniture of site and to eliminate excesses. Each home is a world but in essence those are the 5 phases that are applied with this technique.
And how much does a Home Staging cost?
Although for obvious reasons varies greatly according to each case, it is often said that the total cost of Home Staging is between 1-2% of the sale price , much lower than the discounts usually made before closing the operation and that with these techniques can be avoided or minimized. Hence, Home Staging should be viewed more as an investment than as an expense.